June 17, 2012

Light of Day Continued

Here's some more of the short story I posted earlier!

My tears continued to fall and the water level continued to rise, now coming up past my
knees. Eventually, the tears stopped flowing and I assumed that I had none left to shed. The
moon grew brighter in the sky and I almost laughed in the relief that I could finally see. Around
me, the dirt walls began to sag from the rain and soon they would collapse, maybe to bury me
alive and suffocate me before I drowned.
        The water was chest height now and I soon began to give up any hope that I had of someone
finding me.  Then the strangest thing happened.  The sky flashed white one more time then faded
off into black. Even the moon was gone. Then suddenly, it lit up brightly, the sky was blue and
the sun was out. The rain had stopped falling which meant I wouldn’t drown after all. I smiled
and laughed in delight.
        A shadow crossed over the drain and my heart almost stopped. It was a person! They looked
down with a look of surprise and concern, then lifted the grate off and pulled me out. I fell on my
knees and began to sob in relief, laughing the whole time I did. The man just stared down at me,
a look of sympathy on his face.  Finally I stopped and rose to my feet unsteadily. He helped me
get my balance then stood back with a questioning look on his face.
       I explained to him how I had been a servant in the home of Hesper Milton and only done
what I was told. Then a couple days ago, he came home drunk and began to beat me and my
mother. I had stood up against him, to protect my mother, and he had grabbed me by my shirt
collar and dragged me into a carriage. We had traveled for hours before the carriage driver
brought us to a halt. Then he had pulled me along and behind a patch of bushes so the driver
wouldn’t see us. Hesper then stuck me into the drain and sealed the grate shut so I couldn’t get
out.
     I sobbed the whole time I told the awful story and the man placed an arm around my
shoulders as I cried. I tried to stop but I just couldn’t and he stood there patiently as I cried into
his shirt. When I finally calmed down, I pulled away from him and wiped the final tears from my
face. He took my hands in his and looked me in the eyes.
       “I will help you take revenge,” he told me, “Even if it means death,” My shoulders sagged in
relief and I thanked him thoroughly. He smiled down at me and placed his arm around my
shoulders, leading me away from the drain and to a carriage that was on the road. We got inside
and he instructed the driver to take us to the Milton house. The driver nodded and urged the
horses to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment